Pages

April 24, 2014

I RAN 10KM - SPARTACUS RUN UPDATE

I ran 10K guys! Woohoow! 
I reached my goal of running 10km (6,2 miles) this past weekend. Although I didn't stick to my strict running schedule I was following some weeks ago, I still made it. I guess all of my years slaving at the gym paid off during running training. 

So how exactly did I prepare to accomplish this? The past three months I have added running to my workout routine. I trained at the gym 3 to 4 times a week and in addition also ran 1 to 2 times a week. At the gym I mainly focused on "safe" cardio exercise, like the elliptical and bycicle. These are the safest ways of cardio, besides swimming, since they don't charge your body a lot, so you have less chance of getting injuries. 


My weekly runs were about 6km, but it really depended from day to day. Some days I felt I could run 100km like Forrest Gump, other days I felt like my legs were going to fall off after 1km. On the bad days it was really a matter of motivating myself and convincing myself I did it before and could do it again. This is also how I managed to go from running 6km to 10km. On Saturday I decided to run the full 10K on Sunday, no matter how long it would take me. When setting a goal like this for yourself, it's very important to value and appreciate it before you begin. You need to take a moment to realise what the goal means to you and why you want to accomplish it. This way you won't give up easily and put in all of your energy in reaching it. 


I ran 10km in 01:08:40, and I'm pretty proud of it. It's at a speed of 8,9km/hour. But the numbers aren't what really matters to me, the most important thing is that I've ran it and feel more secure about running the Spartacus Run next week. Now only the obstacles in the water scare me a bit! I still have seven days left to prepare for the race, and I'm confident I can do it! 

Please keep your fingers crossed the first of May for me! :) 

x x x
Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment