Pages

February 10, 2014

FITNESS UPDATE - SPARTACUS CHALLENGE

When I was younger I was a master sprinter, I would outrun girls and boys in record times. Long distances on the other hand weren't my cup of tea. After 60 meters I was exhausted because I started too fast and couldn't spread my energy correctly.  I was more of a power and speed kind of girl! 
Since I've started my gym membership six years ago I haven't been a fan of the treadmill either. Three, maybe four times I've been seen on one of those. I've always preferred the elliptical machine or spinning bikes. Partially to avoid injuries on my knees and ankles, since running is more burdening because of the shocks everytime you land on the ground, and partially because I find it so much more exhausting! I can do the elliptical for 60 minutes straight, but on the treadmill I'm beat after 10. I found out this is due the fact you run on own strength, there's no machine to help you whatsoever so you really need to rely on your own muscles and feet. 


Since I've always looked up to runners and hear people enjoy morning runs in sunny weekends so much, I've decided to accept a new fitness challenge. Besides keeping my fitness routine on track, I'm going to add runs to my weekly training schedule. The ultimate goal will be participating in the Spartacus Run the first of May. What's a Spartacus Run you ask? Well it's a 10K (6.2 miles) race with 10 obstacles on the track. Some examples are swimming in cold water, passing a football team, getting through a maze, climbing over obstacles, crawling under ropes and so on. 

It might sound a bit unrealistic for a newbie to participate in an extreme race like this, but it's all about having fun and keeping myself moving. The Spartacus Run serves as running motivation, but is not the actual goal. The actual goal is to improve my fitness and stay healthy. 

How I am preparing

Diet
I want to loose some last pounds of fat, about 5 to 6, to be able to run faster. I'm sticking to 1400 calories a day with one cheat day a week. Since I'm working out 6 days a week, I do need to consume enough calories to keep me energized. On the cheat day I can have a big cheat dinner, some cocktails or some sweets. Basically whatever I'm craving but not overdoing it.

Weight training
I've added more weight training to my fitness schedule so my muscles and body will become stronger. I will definitely need more strength (mainly in my arms and core) to overcome the obstacles. I train my arms, legs and core each two days a week.

For my arms and legs I follow a training schedule I've created myself, for my abs I'm been doing Jillian Michaels: 6 Weeks Six-Pack Abs Workout that I found on Youtube. It's a great program for beginners and focuses on core exercises mixed with some cardio to shred that belly fat!

Running schedule
I found a running schedule online that seems very realistic. It basically teaches you how to run 10K in 10 weeks. http://running.about.com/od/10kracetrainingschedules/a/10Krunwalktrainingschedule.htm

I will always try to run outside and not on the treadmill since the race will be outside as well and I feel it's completely different to run outside than in a gym. I really want to prepare myself in the best way possible.

Of course I needed new shoes to help me reach my goal (wink wink), so I got some new Nikes! These are the Nike Pegasus +30 shoes. They are very comfortable and offer enough support on the outer side of my feet. 


I also love the neon yellow - grey color combination! They brighten up any gym outfit, especially since I wear a lot of black leggings and shirts.


Some tips I gathered going into this challenge: 
Breath naturally or focus on a breathing technique that works for you. 
Leave two days between runs in the first weeks. Your muscles need to recover, this ways you will avoid injuries. 
Stay hydrated. 
Eat light before running. 
Stretch when you get home. 

I'm so excited for this challenge and will keep you updated regularly. Has anyone tried something like this before? How was your experience? And got any other running tips for me? 

x x x


No comments:

Post a Comment